On Tuesday 03 June 2003 22:22, Carlos C. Gonzalez wrote:
> I hope I am not being too picky here but it seems to me that swap should
> not be used at all if there is ANY RAM that can be used in it's place
> available. Which on my computer there is.  Of course I am not that familiar
> with the intracacies of using swap so this may be much easier said than
> done.
As I previously stated, this is *NOT* how swap is used by the _Linux kernel_;
this is not Gentoo specific.  Also, as I stated before, I have 1 _gig_ of ram
and almost always 75%+ is free.  However, almost *always* my swap usage is at
50%.

And maybe this wasn't clear in my first reply, so here it goes again... *Idle*
tasks are sent to the swap file, not any task when RAM runs out.  So you
shouldn't have problems with your box hitting the disks all the time because,
if the task required that activity, it would should not be in the swap space.
--
Zack Gilburd
http://tehunlose.com