Hi guys,

Just installed gentoo over the weekend and now I notice that my Home
and End keys seem to produce different escape sequences when in X
compared to from the console.

When at the console if I type: <ctrl-v><Home> I will see ^[[1~.  End
is ^[[4~.  In X, however, I get ^[[7~ and ^[[8~ respectively.  This
appears to have been compensated for in most applications on my
machine by having the correct entries in /etc/inputrc, but this
cannot help with everything:

- I can't quickly get to the top or bottom of the file in pagers
  like "less" which do not use the GNU readline library (and hence
  don't read inputrc.
- When I log into remote hosts, I can't use Home and End in bash as
  I would expect without creating a custom .inputrc.
- I use Mutt for email which has keybindings for <Home> and <End>
  that now do not work.  I could add more key bindings for the new
  sequences that Home and End are making, but this seems messy.

So, how can I make Home and End produce the same sequences in X as
they do on the console?

Here is the relevant part of my XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc101"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "gb"
EndSection

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Regards,
Andy