Hi,
   I'm looking for some guidance. I currently have Alsa installed and
working (well, sort of working) for a single sound chip. I need to get a
second driver compiled for my RME sound card. I understand Alsa's
limitations - I will only be using one of these cards at a time, but I
need both drivers.

   Is there a way for me to do an emerge, possibly some sort of update,
that will just build the minimum needed, or do I need to first

emerge -C alsa-driver

and then

env ALSA_CARDS='via82xx hdsp' emerge alsa-driver

???

Or could I possibly just change the ALSA_CARDS part of /etc/make.conf
file (which I've done already) and do something like

emerge -u alsa-driver

???

emerge -up indicates this wouldn't do anything.

   Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers,
Mark