I recall that when I had garbage on screen when the xserver started
that would go away if I went to the console with ctrl+alt+f1 and back to
xserver with alt+f7. Now that I think about it sometimes a green box
like the one you described appeared as well. The problem went away as
soon as I disabled frame buffer support. You might want to try vesa
frame buffer as I have heard that it works quite well but I had some
problem with that also on my gf4 mx440. So now I enjoy my normal 132x43
;-) console just by changing the console font to a 8x8 font :-) Sure!
frame buffer is really nice but I hate to have an unstable system just
so I would be able to have a cool picture as a background on my
console...