On Thu Jun 12, 2003 at 10:39:33PM +0200 or thereabouts, Martin Larsson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to get nvidia drivers to work cause i wanted to test Americas
> army ;)
> altough, I must have done something terribly wrong somewhere :S
> ive tried most of the versions from portage + the latest from nvidia but
> all give the same error
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> and when trying to rmmod nvidia, i get kernel panic :O
> that makes me think its not some nvidia configuration problem.....
>
> anyone have any hint to whats going wrong?
>

> --
> Martin Larsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Greetings!
Is the module getting loaded at boot. What does lsmod show. Is the nvidia module
listed in /etc/modules.autoload. I did not use the drivers supplied by Gentoo. Rather,
I downloaded the 1.0.4363 driver from the Nvida web site. It's a .run file and has
just one file. You run that, as root, from a console. Not from X. It will compile the
module to fit your kernel config and then install the module. Check the output of
lsmod, as root, and check to see if the module is /etc/modules.autoload. Then reply to
this and maybe I can help you some more. You might also try: emerge -C to unmerge the
drivers and see if that works and I suggest you dowload the driver from the Nvidia
websit and go that way. I've never had a problem with their driver. Hope this helps a
little.

Mike

--
Regards,