I've got a USB sandisk Compact Flash reader. I can get it to work by

usb-storage            64380   1
ehci-hcd               16328   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               25324   0  (unused)
usbcore                67168   1  [usb-storage ehci-hcd usb-uhci]

I have scsi generic built into the kernel.
In order to mount it I have to run:

gentoo usb # /usr/local/bin/sg_map
# Note: the devfs pseudo file system is present
/dev/sg0  /dev/sda
/dev/sg1  /dev/sdb

I don't see that in most of the instructions I've found on the web, but
I've mostly found stuff written for red hat.

After running rg_map, I can mount the CF, but most of the time it fails
on the first try with:

gentoo usb # /bin/mount /mnt/photo
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems
gentoo usb # /bin/mount /mnt/photo
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems
gentoo usb # /bin/mount /mnt/photo

on the third time it worked.
The failures generate the following kernel messages:

sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
Additional sense indicates Medium not present
sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sdb: Write Protect is off
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun1: I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 2097144
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 2097144
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
Device 08:01 not ready.
 I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 0
FAT: unable to read boot sector
 I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 0
FAT: unable to read boot sector
sda: Write Protect is off
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:09.0-2 address 14
hub.c: new USB device 00:09.0-2, assigned address 15
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 15
Device 08:01 not ready.
 I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 0
FAT: unable to read boot sector

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution, or is this what
you get for a $20 gadget?

--
Chris Bare
[EMAIL PROTECTED]