Chris Bare wrote:

This problem occurs in case you're using more than one usb mass storage device (USBMSD)
or more than one type of memory media in your reader. Is'nt it your case ? (Sure yes :-) ).

I have only one USB device, but it has a compact flash and some other media slot.

sg map always tells me the same thing:

gentoo usb # sg_map
# Note: the devfs pseudo file system is present
/dev/sg0  /dev/sda
/dev/sg1  /dev/sdb

sda is the CF slot.

For every plugged USBMSD system reserves new device, although they are disconected later ...
so you should remember what was where, or use monte carlo method to find it :-)
Any way, you have to improve your sg_map/rg_map script.

Are you saying it's getting assigned a different sg number? I don't think that's the problem, becuase I can do mount twice in a row and the first fails but the second successes. I don't change anything between the 2 tries.

I meet similar problem with my photo camera ...
I have 2 Smart Media Cards ( 8MB and 128MB) and use self made simple script,
which just mounts /dev/sda1 to /mnt/foto and moves files from that dir (card)
to somewhere

If I run the script first time after the boot of system with any SM card in camera,
the proper device is /dev/sda1 (can mount/unmount many times without problem).

If I now exchange the card in camera and try to mount it as /dev/sda1, I'll receive
the same error message as you, but if I use /dev/sdb1 everything is OK.

From your answer it's not clear if you exchange CF card or not before problem occurs.
I do not know what is sg_mnt command doing (do not know it), but probably it is
doing something in a wrong way ...

Noro