I do not know, why you have installed gentoo linux, but it seems
it was a missunderstanding ...this distribution is definitely
NOT recommended for absolute beginers.

Noro

Gëzim Hoxha wrote:

--- Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Gëzim Hoxha wrote:

Hi,
I started merging openoffice and it´s really

taking

it´s time [about 5 hours] and it´s not yet done.

My

question is why can´t I go to openoffice.org and
download the tar ball and install it from there,

it

would have take no more than 10 minuts I believe.

Is

it better to merge packages than to download and
install them manually? Why does it take longer to
merge a package then to insall it from source

(e.g.

openoffice)?

emerge openoffice-bin

OK, thanks, but can you please explain what´s
happening, what´s the difference between emerge
openoffice-bin and emerge openoffice, does other
packages have ¨-bin¨?

--
Andrew Gaffney