Mark Knecht wrote:
Bryn,
I have not seen this problem. I'm on a slightly newer gentoo release
(1.4rc4)

I'm running using

shh -X -C -c blowfish remote_IP

I'm Gentoo on both ends. I run Evolution multiple times every day with no
big problems. I did write this list a week or two ago about the
disconnection of ssh hanging on the local end, and needing to do a Ctrl-C to
get around that. I got no responses, and the problem seems to have
disappeared a few days ago.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the reply - I've done an emerge -u world recently, so we should be at or around the same versions, apart from the very basic stuff but this seems very ssh-specific.

I've just confirmed it's not just X apps - even ls will do it:

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] bryn $ ssh hex ls -lR > /dev/null 2>&1 &
        [2] 1889
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] bryn $ ls
        FrozenPenguins.png  foo.java        share         shot0003.jpg
        Screenshot.png      questframe      shot0002.jpg

        [2]+  Stopped                 ssh hex ls -lR >/dev/null 2>&1
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] bryn $

The [2]+ Stopped occurs as a side effect of issuing ls - no kb interrupts sent.

If you do anything on a terminal with a background ssh job, it stops.

This just feels like a silly config issue to me but I can't see what I've done wrong!

Also checked and it happens on a vanilla xterm or vt too.

Cheers

Bryn