On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 15:14, daniel wrote:
> On June 16, 2003 10:53 am, Larry Meadors wrote:
> > What would be really great would be to bea able to do this...
> >
> >   emerge mozilla-complete
> >
> > ...and have it do all this stuff for you.
>
> maybe this is a bit overdoing it, or maybe just wishful thinking, but it seems
> that the USE flags are getting a bit crazy in an attempt to solve this sort
> of thing.  want flash in konqueror USE="motif" etc. etc.
>
> why not something like this?  have the USE flags for standard things, like X
> support.  you don't want a bunch of gtk or qt stuff on your sever just 'cause
> you like nmap right?
>
> but for more detailed things, like flash in konqueror or realplayer plugins in
> mozilla, why not a basic yes/no question period?:
>
>   # emerge -p mozilla
>     Do you want flash? y
>     Do you want real player? y
>     Do you want <some sucky plugin>? n
>     ...compiling list
>
>   [ebuild  N   ] net-www/mozilla-1.3-r2
>   [ebuild  N   ] net-www/netscape-flash-6.0.79
>   [ebuild  N   ] media-video/realplayer-8-r5
>
> the personalised settings can be stored somewhere locally that isn't affected
> by "emerge sync" and a single "use previous settings" question can be asked
> at upgrade time or even assumed with a switch.  granted, you can't get too
> detailed with a setup like this, or people will be answering questions for
> hours, but for something as intimate (wrong word?) as web browsing, i would
> think that this sort of functionality would be very useful.
>
> any thoughts?
Actually I have some thoughts. I accidentally sent this to Daniel
instead of the list, but here goes again. if you do emerge -vp mozilla,
what happens (for those of you who know, don't spoil the surprise!).

# emerge -vp mozilla

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] net-www/mozilla-1.3-r2 [1.2.1-r5] +java +crypt -ipv6
+gtk2 +ssl -ldap +gnome -mozsvg +mozcalendar +mozaccess
-mozinterfaceinfo -mozp3p -mozxmlterm -moznoirc -moznomail -moznocompose
-moznoxft

#

So as you see, portage DOES know what affects the package. So I don't
see the reason you can't either have an option like "-askmewhatiwant"
(not that of course....) or "-askmewhatidon'twant" and then it'll set
temoporary USE options. I know this probably isn't the full set of what
you want, but its something that could be definately useful.