Paul Stear wrote:

Hi all,
My wifes windows XP machine is almost redundant and I have been trying to backup my gentoo box over the network onto a spare disk in the other machine.

Hi,

this sounds for me veeeeery funny ... it's like to store (make backup) of audio CD's to black
vinil gramophone plates ... do you think winblowz is more safier than any unix ?
I can see here only troubles ... backup can be easily broken/stolen by viruses.
To store permisions, ovnership etc. you have to put everything in archive files ...
(The best is to replace winblowz with linux.)

Noro