Reading the man on screen shows that by default CTRL-A is what allows
you to send commands, unless you've changed key bindings, it should be
CTRL-A then d.

CTRL-D can be dangerous, most often, I believe it signifies EOF. Which
as it happens causes screen to quit (if the input stream has been
closed, it can't do anything anyhoo...)

I could be wrong on some of that, but thats what I recall.