On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 03:18:40PM -0500, Joe wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I'm in the process of planning my Gentoo Linux install, and I was
> wondering if anyone had some input on setting up the partitions?  I have
> 2 drives, one 15Gb and a 40Gb drive.  I will be running an ftp server on
> this box, and using it for miscellaneous other tasks.  If anyone can
> give any insight or maybe how you have set up your partitions I would
> appreciate it!  Thanks!

This being linux, there is definately more than one way to do it...
However, assuming both drives are close to the same performance (IE:
one's not either a super fast or super slow drive), I might do something
like the following:

15G (hda)
  (hda1) 10-50M /boot   --      depending on if you have a lot of kernel
                                                        images hanging around :)
  (hda2) 500M swap              --  depending on the amount of ram you have you
                                                        might want more or less.  Some
advocate no
                                                        swap, but I always try to have
256-1G or
                                                        more around depending on HD
space
  (hda3) remaining /    --  lots of room for apps, portage, distfiles,
                                                        etc

40G (hdb)
  (hdb1) /home                  --  put your ftp in /home/ftp web on
                                                        /home/httpd, etc.  Lots of
room.

Just my suggestion anyway.

--