Here's the relevant parts of my XF86Config which works with both the pad and
the usb mouse at the same time.

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier  "Default"
        Screen "Screen0"
        InputDevice "Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice "ExternalMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "ExternalMouse"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        Option "Protocol" "Auto"
        Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
        Option "Buttons" "5"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse"
        Driver  "mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
        Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
        Option "Buttons" "5"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

In addition I use hotplug to make this work. I have a little quirk, the usb
mouse doesn't work in X until I've moved it around a while, and sometimes I
need to unplug and replug it. Haven't bothered to look more at that yet
though.
Think the important parts are the "SendCoreEvents" flag, and the use of
hotplug.

--Erik