Hi,

I have just installed Gentoo Linux under a Pentium 3 machine. Everything has
worked fine and as presented in the installation guide.
After I have the base system running, I enter as root and mount the CD with
the command mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom. At that moment the cd stops
working. It seems to break and it is definitely broken.

I have broken 3 CD readers this way!!!!! The CDs work until that moment
since I install them and I am able to reboot the machine from them (and work
this way) so I have discarded a harware problem since I measure good
voltages for the power supply and the rest of the equipment woks ok.

Could the Gentoo kernel with a bad configuration destroy my CD?

Thanks!!

Jose A Carrasco