On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:35:43PM +0000, Florian Huber wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:52:36 +0200
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (by way of Bjarke Bruun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there
> >
> > I have a scsi cdrom drive that won't boot bootable cdroms and I'd
> > like to try Gentoo.... so is there a floppy (1.44Mb) bootdisk image
> > somewhere that I can get started?
>
> You could boot _any_ linux distribution that fits on a single floppy
> as long as it has networking support. There is nothing special about
> the gentoo live cd - it is just a kind of rescue cd with a gentoo
> splash image ;)
>
> Just google (www.google.com/linux) for an one-disk distribution or
> search on ibiblio.org.

My recommendation: tomsrtbt (Tom's Root Boot - never leave home without
it :) ).

> Remember, you need networking support and support for the file system
> you want gentoo to run with (ext2/3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs, ...). I would
> suggest starting with ext2 and convert it later on to ext3 (tune2fs).

Or you could use whatever operating system you already have installed to
download the tarball, if you can't get networking up with the
single-floppy-linux (tomsrtbt worked for me, but I had a cable modem,
and now I have PPPOE ADSL). As for ext3 - that's what I use, but people
say its performance is horrible when compared to other file systems...
is that true?

--
Tactless

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature.