On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 04:16, Saurabh Nanda wrote:
> The emerge vanilla-sources just unpacked the tarball in /usr/src/linux. I
> compiled and copied the kernel image manually. So the portage system did not
> know about the change. The next time I rebooted into the new kernel, alsa did
> not work and neither did X. So I had to manually (re)emerge alsa-driver,
> nvidia-kernel, and nvidia-glx.

Well, to begin with, emerge any of the kernel just extracts the sources.
None of them are SUPPOSED to automatically compile it (this is due to
the fact the the kernel usually needs a lot of configuration).

Emerging alsa is normal, although I've never had to remerge any of the
nvidia stuff. (I believe you used to have to do that, but newer versions
don't. IIRC it has to do with placement of the modules.)

Now, the easiest way to set it up to do all that and a bag of chips is
to write a bash script. Other than that, there's no current standard
method.