On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:

> I would like to move my Mail folder (maildir format) to the server. I'm
> using fetchmail, postfix, procmail so it is possible to run this on the
> server as well, specially while i'm going to extent it in the future for
> mail for other persons also. (i will come back on this, because there
> are also windows users involved)
>
> Can i just move the folder containing all my mails to the server, delete
> the .sylpheed-claws folder, so when i startup the program it will ask me
> where the location must be of the mail folder? Its because i have a lot
> of mail and don't wanna lose it.

If it's standard qmail-style Maildir format, you can copy freely between
machines.  I assume the mail server is yours or you have a shell account
on it.  I recently did something similar.  I converted all my local mboxes
to Maildirs and put them on the server, with a program called mb2md.
There were roughly a dozen or so cases I noticed later where it split the
header and body into two different files, but that's not bad for
converting a few thousand messages.

The Maildir format of each message being a separate file makes life much
easier on admins.

I would, of course, recommend deleting the .sylpheed-claws folder after
you have copied the mail to the server and changed your sylpheed settings.
I also assume you have a good backup system on the mail server for
everyone who is/will be storing their mail there.  raid1 is quite handy
for the unexpected demise of a hard drive.

--
Marshal Newrock, Simon's Rock College of Bard
Caution: product may be hot after heating