Kees Bergwerf wrote:
Perhaps I will install gentoo from scratch when I have time..

This is not a proper solution.  Just because one app doesn't work does not
mean you should automatically re-install; this isnt
[EMAIL PROTECTED] :)

I know but nobody seems to have a solution for this problem :-/

See my remarks below ...

I suggest that you use the full path to
startkde (/usr/kde/3.1/bin/startkde) in your ~/.xinitrc.

It does not matter how I start KDE, it always crashes. I tried your suggestion also :)

KDE starts up, but as soon as it tries to restore the session, it crashes.
In the console I can read 2 lines:
Session Management error: Could not open network socket

the rest is scrolled of the screen
Perhaps that is en error I must solve?

After KDE crashes, copy ~.xsession-errors to a new file so you can review the errors or post/email them.

When using startx, I can only start KDE as root :-/

try 'chmod 1777 /tmp' to set the 'sticky bit,' then try startx again as non-root user.

Otherwise, try 'unmerge xfree' then 'emerge xfree-4.3.0-r2' from /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree . That's how I've gotten KDE to run, and certainly beats re-installing your entire system. (;

Steve

--Kees