On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 12:40:16AM -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> > I haven't dug further to see where new stuff is downloaded to, but
> > how about just making it the last or first directory in the list.
> Basically, my thought is that resuming, fetching are only valid in
> DESTDIR.  I purposely dis-allowed resuming in DESTDIRS.
Ok, how about this as a concept (extend what I said previously).

You'll need to rewrite the 'fetch' method of portage.py to download to a
directory in the list 'DESTDIRS', I suggest the first one in the list
that is writable. However, the old 'DESTDIR' should be pre-pended to the
list during the fetching and used as a priority place to store the new
downloads.
Also, no failure should be thrown if no writable DESTDIR location can be
found, as there are some users with readonly setups (many of my servers
for example).

Then during all the rest of the stages (unpack, setup, compile,
install, package, etc.) DESTDIR should be the value of the TMPDIR
location with all of the symlinks.
This part can probably be done with a
few lines of code.

Possible locations for changing the value of DESTDIR:
line 1673 - doebuild in portage.py
line 1444 - spawnebuild in portage.py
Somewhere in ebuild.sh

Multiple DISTDIR is definately important, but it needs to be done very
carefully as so not to break the existing system (your current patch is
bad that way).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : [EMAIL PROTECTED]