Hi,

On Thursday 03 July 2003 22:34, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For about a 6 month ago I used 'hdparm -M 192' to reduce noise coming from
> my HDD (Maxtor 60GB). It worked pretty well -- since then I can't hear my
> hard drive at all.
> Now I noticed that my (recently installed) KDE apps are starting too slow
> and while they are starting HDD is used pretty hard, so I think that the
> reason of this is that HDD's disks spin at lower speed -- that's the cost
> of silence
>
> :).
>
> Now goes the main question: does the value given to -M option has some
> specific format? I mean, may be it has to be a some power of 2 or something
> like that? Or I can set any value from range specified in the man page of
> hdparm?

this DOES NOT influence the speed of the spindle. It just affects how fast the
heads are accelerated/decellerated and moved into their positions.

Accoustic settings are a little bit dangerous.
A lot of disks only support two settings quiet (128) or fast (256), other have
four, eight or 128 steps.

Glück Auf,
Volker