On Friday 04 July 2003 20:36, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2003 22:04, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> > So, if I understand you right I would get speed increase if I try to make
> > this value larger?
>
> s/ would / wouldn't /

maybe you are getting some speedups related to random file access, and I for
myself have set my drives to quiet most of the time and switch, when I know
that some stress (like emerging glibc, kde, gcc) is coming up.

My disks don't complain, but I read, that this can cause problems, so I warn
everybody. Most people just want to be safe, not fast ;o) (or quiet).

Glück Auf,
Volker