There must be something simple missing, but I can't see it.

I have

1. emerged module-init-tools-0.9.12
2. emerged sys-kernel/development-sources/development-sources-2.5.74
3. Copied over my old .config
4. make mrproper no longer supported
5. Ran make oldconfig and took all defaults for new stuff
6. make dep no longer supported
7. make bzImage modules modules_install
8. Copied over arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot
9. Copied over System.map to /boot
10. Updated the /boot/grub/grub.conf with a new boot stanza
11. Verified that all packages mentioned in the linux 2.5
/Documentation/changes are up to or greater than required levels.

When I boot the kernel, I get the "uncompressing...ok" line, then a lot
of disk activity, but no additional console messages and total hang.

Any ideas?  I got the same error with 2.5.73.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the