On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:14:59 -0500
Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Collins Richey wrote:
> > There must be something simple missing, but I can't see it.
> >
> > I have
> >
> > 1. emerged module-init-tools-0.9.12
> > 2. emerged sys-kernel/development-sources/development-sources-2.5.74
> > 3. Copied over my old .config
> > 4. make mrproper no longer supported
> > 5. Ran make oldconfig and took all defaults for new stuff
> > 6. make dep no longer supported
> > 7. make bzImage modules modules_install
> > 8. Copied over arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot
> > 9. Copied over System.map to /boot
> > 10. Updated the /boot/grub/grub.conf with a new boot stanza
> > 11. Verified that all packages mentioned in the linux 2.5
> > /Documentation/changes are up to or greater than required levels.
> >
> > When I boot the kernel, I get the "uncompressing...ok" line, then a
> > lot of disk activity, but no additional console messages and total
> > hang.
>
> Do you have framebuffer support enabled, or just using the normal
> 25x80 console?

No framebuffer support, but the ^%$£ 2.5 config turned off VGA onsole
support!  I fixed that, and now boot is ok and X + graphical apps run
fine, but I can't get any xterm to start.

UNIX98_PTY support is on, and I can't see anything else obvious that's
missing in the configuration.

Any ideas?

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the