On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 01:15:35PM +0000, Juri Haberland wrote:
> Adam Scriven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > MPlayer is working just perfectly for MPEG and Quicktime movies, but for
> > real audio it's just crapping out horribly.  I have an old .RA file on
> > my hard drive, and it plays the sound just fine but the video is
> > unwatchable, mostly black.  Any RA streams I try and download have crashed
> > mplayer.
> >
> > Has anyone had any success with this?  I'd rather not install the Real Audio
> > player.
>
> Here on my box Mplayer plays real *video* files without a problem -

Sorry, yes, real Video and Audio are what I was looking for.  I still think
of the player as the "RealAudio" player in my head, and I tend to make that
mistake a lot.

> havn't tested realaudio files though.
> But AFAIK you *need* the RA codecs installed to enable Mplayer to play
> those files. So install the real player, re-emerge mplayer and it
> should work.

I thought mplayer came with Real Audio/Video codecs built in?
Looking through my '/usr/share/mplayer/codecs.conf' file, I see references
to the "Win32 RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder" using driver drv43260.dll,
which I have installed at "/usr/lib/win32/drv43260.dll".  Similar situation
with the "Win32 RealPlayer 8 RV30 decoder" and "Win32 RealPlayer 8 RV20
decoder" codecs.  I don't seem to have any of the linux drivers installed
("drv4.so.6.0", "drv3.so.6.0" & "drv2.so.6.0" respectively).

I have tried giving the RAM file as a URL to mplayer (for real audio and video),
but it fails with:
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===

I've downloaded the RAM file myself and just put the rtsp://<stuff> part into
MPlayer, but then I get an error "Unable to open URL http://rtsp://<stuff>"

I even tried one streaming site with an http:// transport, and a .smi file,
but that just caused MPlayer to crash with "MPlayer interrupted by signal 11
in module: demux_open"

Did I build it improperly, or forget (or add) something to my USE line that
would cause this?
Anyway, thanks for any help, LMK if there's anymore useful information I can
give to everyone.
Adam