On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:58:16AM +0000, Juri Haberland wrote:
> Adam Scriven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2) I tried it with a local RealVideo file, but it didn't work... the sound
> >   was fine, but the picture didn't update, and started out full of square
> >   artifacts
>
> Maybe encoded with one of the newest RA-codecs that aren't installed
> with RealPlayer 8?

Nope, a very old Real file, that's a real Video file, but still has the .ra
extension.

> > 3) I tried one of the realvideo streams again, but this time it crashed
> >   mplayer.  I first tried it with the RAM redirect file, but mplayer said
> >   it wasn't a valid file.  Then I tried it with the .smi file that was
> >   the actual source, and that's when mplayer crashed.
> > 4) Another real stream, audio this time, I tried with the rtsp:// url,
> >   but mplayer came back with "Unable to open URL: http://rtsp://...";,
> >   RAM file for that one came back with the usual "unrecognized".
>
> I've done some reading, and found that you need LIVE support compiled
> into mplayer to use RTSP streaming. Have you done so? (emerge live)

Nope, I didn't know that, I'll have to do that too, thank you!
Where did you see that BTW, I never noticed anything about that, but maybe
I didn't look hard enough. :(

> > I'm not sure what else to try at this point.  I can use RealPlayer, which
> > is what I've been doing because I've never seen a working version of mplayer
> > personally.  Maybe I just do it wrong everytime. *shrug*
> > Anyway, if there's a way to fix this I'd love to know.
>
> Actually, I never tried streaming with mplayer. I only played local
> files - successfully.

Ok, I emerged the LIVE plugin, then re-emerged mplayer, and I still
get all the same errors.
*shrug*
At this point I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks though.