I'm not sure that how X is compiled is much of a problem.  I used exactly
the
same options you did on a 300 MhZ Celeron, which recently became a 500 MhZ
PIII.  No complaints at all.  It's not a speed demon, but gnome is
definently
usable.  I also use X on a dual-boot 800 MhZ PIII at work, again with no
complaints.
I was still more conservative.

My laptop is a 200 MhZ MMX mobile.  I use X there as well.  Much slower, but
still
very usable.  I really don't think that compilation is your problem.

-rex