* Harlan (2003-07-12 23:03 +0200)
> I have another question.  How do I get my local computer to serve files from
> /usr/portage/distfiles?

It's described in the Howto:

[gentoo-packages]
path    = /usr/portage/distfiles
comment = Gentoo Linux Portage packages (distfiles)

If you are using "rsync-gentoo-portage.sh" to sync you'll have to
point it to
#DST="/opt/gentoo-rsync/portage/"
DST="/usr/portage/"

Also add "--exclude distfiles" to "OPTS" in the script or you will
lose all your packages.

"rsyncd.conf" should contain
dont compress = *.ace \
                *.arj \
                *.bz  \
                *.bz2 \
                *.cab \
                *.deb \
                *.gz  \
                *.iso \
                *.jar \
                *.lha \
                *.lzh \
                *.rar \
                *.rpm \
                *.sqx \
                *.taz \
                *.tbz \
                *.tgz \
                *.tz  \
                *.Z   \
                *.z   \
                *.zip

And finally:
FETCHCOMMAND='rsync -vcrtz --delete-after --partial --progress --timeout=600
rsync://local_server/gentoo-packages/${FILE} ${DISTDIR}'

I first omitted the "-z" and "emerge sync" hung at the first sync.

Thorsten
--
 children under the age of 18