Thanks to Ian and Thorsten, I was able to get an existing client computer to
rsync from an internal server.  This works great!!!

Now, to get this working with a new system rebuild.  I am installing gentoo
linux using livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso and connecting to my internal server.
The problem is that the bootscript.sh tries to connect to my server, but is
not successful.  bootscript.sh then tries to connect to quite a number of
systems on the internet without success; the new install computer does not
have access to the internet.

After getting the hard drive setup, and extracting the stage1 tar file, I
added some lines to the /etc/make.conf.  The lines where for these variables:
FETCHCOMMAND, SYNC, GENTOO_MIRRORS.

FETCHCOMMAND='rsync -vcrtz --partial --progress --timeout=600
rsync://192.168.1.50/gentoo-packages/${FILE} ${DISTDIR}'
SYNC="rsync://192.168.1.50/gentoo-portage"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="rsync://192.168.1.50/gentoo-packages"

Ok, so what am I misssing?  What did I do wrong?

Thanks again for your help.

Harlan...