The distfiles directory is around 15 gigs, you can save a LOT of space if
you exclude many of the larger files like UT2k3, OpenOffice (there are
several versions), the KDE i18n stuff and all of the Linux kernels (the
ebuilds download the kernel packages from kernel.org anyways). Check the
rsync manual for how to exclude files.

Although what you plan on doing seems like a good idea. Emerge will just
skip any packages that havent been upgraded anyways.