ok, I've:

# emerge apache php mod_php mod_ssl
# ebuild /var/db/pkg/dev-php/mod_php-*latestver*/mod_php-*latestver*.ebuild
config
# ebuild /var/db/pkg/net-www/mod_ssl-*latestver*/mod_ssl-*latestver*.ebuild
config

I've also edited the /etc/conf.d/apache and /etc/apache/conf/apache.conf
with relevant information.
However when I /etc/init.d/apache start it tells me:

[alert] apache: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain
name.

And doesnt start.  Ok, check out my domain name...its (none)...so I open up
/etc/domainname and add 'mattbroughton.lan'I've also symlinked
/etc/dnsdomainname and /etc/nisdomainname to that file.  On reboot, its
still coming up with the samething...ovation.(none)

I do a su -c 'domainname mattbroughton.lan' and it sets it fine for however
long the machine is up...which isnt long becausethis is my development
laptop.

Has anyone had these problems?  Whats the fix?  Also, does gentoo not have
an httpd.conf????

#updatedb
#locate httpd.conf

only shows the httpd.conf files within the portage tree...
-Matt B.