Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
Hello!
I had just emerged latest "stable" baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1, did etc-update, carefully updated all 23 files and rebooted.

And I received a whole bunch of errors. Please, someone help. Here they are:

During boot:

* Calculating module dependencies
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ide/hd/cd
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ide/host0/cd
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/scsi/host0/cd
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/scsi/host0/generic
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/input

[ I have a CD-RW as a primary slave, I have option hdb=ide-scsi passed to kernel at boot. All worked great till now. And I have no idea what is /dev/input...]

<SNIP>

* Setting system clock to hwclock [LocalTime]
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/rtc
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/misc/rtc
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/rtc
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/misc/rtc

Have you got all ide, scsi and enhanced RTC compiled into kernel?

<SNIP>
INIT: Entering runlevel 3
* Couldn't get dependency info for "consoletrans"!
[repeated 4 times]
*ERROR: "consoletrans" doesn't have a start function

The new baselayout has better error checking and dependency checking so will be more verbose in cases where previous one would have said nothing. So either report bugs about the init scripts that appear in errors or wait for a fix.

*Starting lircd...
        modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/lircd

Once again, at first sight it seems the kernel support is missing. Did you get the classic xargs: environment too large for exec error on boot?