On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:10:14 +0200
Heribert Slama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:00:40 -0600, in gmane.linux.gentoo.user,
> Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >[......]
> >
> ><rant>
> >Over the several years running gentoo, I've seen more things screwed
> >up by 'emerge baselayout' than I care to remember.  I always (and
> >this is no exception) let baselayout age a few months before adapting
> >it.</rant>
>
> So I assume, you skip the recommended "emerge -u system" after an
> rsync (Portage User Guide). IMVHO an "emerge portage" should be
> sufficient as a first step.

I've always been confused about the purpose of 'emerge -u system' after
the initial install process.  I've always found that nothing unique
shows up there that isn't covered by 'emerge -u world'.  Of course, I
only use the -up flavors.

I also let portage upgrades age for a while.  Portage is number 2 right
behind baselayout as a source of problems for me.  The gentoo developers
are pretty good about getting things right, but slipups with portage and
baselayout are hard to swallow, and they do happen.

I'd rather experience the problems vicariously by reading  in the mail
list:"portage ate my system" or"I'm having bad problems after emerge
baselayout" rather than experiencing the problems myself.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the