That's a good idea. I've done that on some of my systems including one Gentoo. I haven't done it on others because of the cabability of the LiveCD.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:57:23 +0200
 Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

"Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You may need to unmount the system to do the repair.

Would that mean to start from a different Linux, e.g. from the
LiveCD? (Because it's the root file system; when unmounted, no more
programs)

Yes, it would. You would need the LiveCD or another partition that can be booted.

On some machines I have installed a very minimal Linux system on the
boot partition. Normally, this partition won't be mounted, but I have a
menu choice in grub which starts this rescue partition.
--
Hilsen Harald.