Kernel 2.6 has a number of improvements. Responsiveness on the desktop
seems to be much better, the framebuffer code has been rewritten, the
Makefile scheme has changed, the scalability is better, ALSA (which is
what I think you heard about) audio support is available right in the
kernel, LSM (security modules) have been added. There are always a lot
of changes between stable kernel trees, so this email has nowhere near
all the changes in it.