On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Tracy LCpl Derek E wrote:

> I needing some assistance picking out a cd-duplication system and was
> wondering if any net-admins or users have had any experience/recommendations
> with these systems.  I am looking for a duplication system that is around
> 1500 that can make identical copies of DVD DVD-R DVD-RW CD-R CD-RW's.
> Including protected cd's.  Now I am not a pirating fool I work for the USMC
> and we are needing the capabilities to burn copies to hand out to our
> network administrators throughout the base.  Any help and recommendations
> will be helpful.  Thank You for your time.

I've found having two drives (one cd, one cdrw - or in your case above,
one dvd, one dvd-rw) with cdrecord to be just fine.  Make an alias or
one-line script to do the copying (or use any of the graphical
front-ends).  The line on my Debian system is:

cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 dev=1,1,0 -isosize /dev/hdd

Of course, you won't be able to copy dual-layer dvd's directly.

I recommend reading the cd-writing howto.  A possibility is to get a good
size hard drive on which you can store cd/dvd images, and a number of
dvd-rw drives so you can make several discs simultaneously.  Unless you
get scsi drives (which I don't think they make scsi dvd-rw's yet), you
should not put more than one drive per IDE chain, or you'll probably end
up burning a lot of coasters.  Putting images on the hard drive also
protects against coasters in case of a bad source cd.

--
Marshal Newrock, Simon's Rock College of Bard
Caution: product may be hot after heating