Robin H.Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Slocate used to add it's own userid to your system. Since then, that was
> integrated into the initial /etc/passwd included in baselayout, and the
> UID# was changed in the process to avoid a conflict with something else.

Aha!  Thanks for the explanation.

It seems to me that the baselayout ebuild ought to print out a really
big warning about it and maybe suggest what to do.

Ideally, etc-update should be able to deal with it automatically.
This could be achieved by leaving _fix*_ files in addition to _cfg*_
files.  The _fix*_ files would be scripts similar in intent to
pkg_postinst but to be run and deleted after configuration files have
been updated.

Would such an idea be useful beyond the present case, or am I swatting
a fly with a baseball bat?

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier