Hi all,

I'd like to convert my 10GB root partition from ext3 to reiserfs. I've learned that I can't do that on the fly, like ext2->ext3 conversion is done. So I'll have to backup all data, reformat the partition and copy everything back.

Unfortunately, my external drive is formatted as FAT32 and will not preserve all filesystem attributes as owner, timestamp and such. My idea was to create an image on that drive (which would be ext2 formatted) and copy everything to this image which is located on a FAT32 partition. Can I do this? How do I create such an image? How do I mount it? IMHO it should be possible with the standard tools contained on the Knoppix 3.2 CD so I can boot from another medium.

Best regards, thanks for any help.

- Christian

--

Christian Aust