Mark Knecht wrote:
emerge ExtUtils-MakeMaker -C
emerge babygimp -vp

Dhruba,
OK, thanks. That will apparently work, but why has this happened? I'd like
to understand why, after being a Gentoo user for 4-5 months, I'm suddenly
seeing a bunch of these sorts of messages.

Is this due to some new portage policy? I assume it's a portage or emerge
update that's caused this?

And will 'emerge -pC <package>' tell me if I'm going to break something else
by removing the package?

Blocks are imposed when one attempts to install two or more conflicting packages on the same system. At that point a user much choose which of the conflicting packages he or she would like and then uninstall the other ones. To put it very simply:

-- uninstall blocked packages
-- carry on emerging whatever you want

And no generally, unmerging blocked packages will not cause any problems since afterwards you are re-emerging a suitable replacement.