Hi Bill

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 02:12, William Kenworthy wrote:
> [...]
> Trying to run vmware (from a terminal)  brings up the profile
> selection window, but selecting any profiles causes the error below:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] cur $ /opt/vmware/bin/vmware
> XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 3072 requests (3071 known processed) with 5 events
> remaining.
> [...]

I had similar issues but did not track it down to _the_ solution (it
worked again after some fiddling around... I had neither time nor
curiosity enough to inspect it in more detail). I believe it has to do
with some issues in the ~/.vmware folder.

Cheap shot (it might have been it):
$ mv ~/.vmware ~/.vmware.old
$ emerge vmware-workstation

I don't remember what step re-creates the ~/.vmware directory
(vmware-config.pl??). Anyhow, move the relevante files back to the new
folder after it "re-appears" (especially the license file).

If that does not do it, try unmerging the package and then erasing all
vmware related folders from your system - that's what I did. I believe,
emerge informs you about the relevant places after unmerging.

HTH
Urs

--
Urs Joss