Hi folks,

beeing tired of synchronizing configfiles, browser's bookmarks
and several other folders between various boxes in my LAN I came
up with the idea to store my homedirectory remotely on my fileserver
(a quite powerful Debian Woody box, XFS filesystem, recent kernel).

So far, so good. If I had only desktops in my LAN, this wouldn't be
much of a problem, perhaps Sun's NFS would be the choice (easy to set
up, security concerns are not that important in my private LAN), or
Samba, as I have experience with both of those two filesystems.

But having a laptop I do pretty much work on I need something that
allows "disconnected operation", that is: Caching the files accessed
while network is unavailable and even having some files cached
"sticky", like .dotfiles and similar stuff. This is important
so I can work with the laptop if I'm not at home.

After reconnection to the server, things should be synchronized again.

Filesystems that come in mind to offer that functionality are
Coda[1] and Intermezzo[2]. All in all they seem to be pretty
"experimental", maybe Coda a bit less than Intermezzo. I'm
not really sure how intensely these FS are developed: Intermezzo's
last "News" entry on the homepage is dated over a year ago. Some
folks on usenet say Coda is kinda "dead" since the developers
itself think it's "overloaded" with features.

OpenAFS[3] seems to have some sort of "disconnected operation"
feature in it's TODO-list[4], but I haven't found much about
this.

I don't want to start a flamewar about NFS, AFS or other
network filesystems. If anyone here has some experience
with Coda or Intermezzo (or another NFS that could suit
my needs), I'd like to hear. Bad news and good news.

Mainly, there are two Gentoo Linux Clients I want to
serve. I also have some SGI Indigos running IRIX and
one NeXTstation running OpenSTEP, but I do not expect
them to run any actual NFS.

TIA,
Jens

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/
[2] http://www.inter-mezzo.org/
[3] http://www.openafs.org/
[4] http://www.openafs.org/frameless/projects.html

--
It was pity stayed his hand.
"Pity I don't have any more bullets," thought Frito.