This sounds like a job for CODA, but people may say that's overkill. I
haven't yet used it myself but I should definitely do some exploring I
think.

Barry MacMahon
Develops Web applications for Chiltern International at Head Office,
Slough, UK
Tel: +44 1753 216674
Ext: 274

                      "donnie berkholz"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      .org>                    cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Good
NFS for laptop?
                      31-07-2003 07:23

                      Please respond to

                      gentoo-user

> Hi folks,
>
> beeing tired of synchronizing configfiles, browser's bookmarks
> and several other folders between various boxes in my LAN I came
> up with the idea to store my homedirectory remotely on my fileserver  (a
> quite powerful Debian Woody box, XFS filesystem, recent kernel).
>
> So far, so good. If I had only desktops in my LAN, this wouldn't be
> much of a problem, perhaps Sun's NFS would be the choice (easy to set
> up, security concerns are not that important in my private LAN), or
> Samba, as I have experience with both of those two filesystems.
>
> But having a laptop I do pretty much work on I need something that
> allows "disconnected operation", that is: Caching the files accessed
> while network is unavailable and even having some files cached
> "sticky", like .dotfiles and similar stuff. This is important
> so I can work with the laptop if I'm not at home.
>
> After reconnection to the server, things should be synchronized again.

As it turns out, rsync is quite a useful tool for this, although it's
obviously not a filesystem.

In my ~/.bashrc:
alias home-up="rsync -avz -e ssh --exclude downloads/ ~/ master:~/"
alias home-down="rsync -avz -e ssh --delete --exclude downloads/ --exclude
ogg/ music/ master:~/ ~/"

I type 'home-down' when I'm taking my laptop away, and 'home-up' when I
bring it back to sync with other things. I don't care to have a bunch of
stuff cluttering up my laptop so I exclude a few directories when
downloading.