On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 18:24, D.J. Bolderman wrote:
> On vr, 01 aug 2003, Jonathan C. wrote:
>
> [...] Snip large troubleshooting guide :P
>
> Thanks Jonathan,
>
> I finally got it working, but I'm a bit confused: I followed your tip
> about the alsamixer, but master and pcm were not muted. Then I checked
> the alsa guide on the gentoo site, and executed the 'amixer set Master
> 100 unmute' and 'amixer set PCM 100 unmute' commands. All of a sudden
> sound was working again...
>
> Does this mean that amixer and alsamixer are 2 different things ?
>
> Anyway, thanks again !
>
> Dick

Yes, they are different programs that both operate on the sound
hardware. I have not heard of this problem with alsamixer before.

My suspicion, once again, was that the asound.state file that alsamixer
and amixer use as a database was not valid after your recompile. I have
definitely had problems when that file was wrong, but erasing it and
letting Alsa remake it fixed things. This is what I think amixer did.

Glad it's working.