>    Well, obviously it does support jpegs out of the box, it just isn't
> doing quite what you were expecting it to do.

Clear. Converting the image to a size of 72*8.5 results in an image that
prints correctly. pnmtops does the scaling automatically as someone else
pointed out. However I assume this down-scaling destroys a lot of detail
from the original. So, I'd still like to know how I can reproduce a 300-dpi
color scan on a 300- or 600 dpi printer. For if I understand you both
correctly, with cups' lp or pnmtops I'm only printing 72dpi images

Kind regards, Henk,