On 03 Aug 2003 11:17:55 -0700
Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[ Lot of stuff snipped ]

I agree with a lot of stuff on both sides of the argument.  I have
raised this issue in the past.

1) the current etc-update is a big improvement over past versions.

2) Yes, Gentoo is a distro for those at least somewhat familiar with
sysadmin techniques, but it could become somewhat more user friendly
with respect to updating config files without any harm.  Remarks like
"you have the wrong distro" if you're not an expert like me don't really
help anyone, but only confirm the snobbishness of the author.

3) Emerging changes to a lot of run scripts and miscellaneous X scripts
that are seldomed modified as a normal rule is one thing, but it is
absolute bloody nonsense ever to provide a file that would allow users
to inavertently overlay fstab, passwd, users, or anything else that
would prevent a successful boot.  All it takes is one wrong
keystroke, and you're hosed.

4) There really needs to be a standard mechanism that notifies users
when a "critical" config file update is necessary and prompts the user
to make the changes manually. The etc-update procedure could be trained
to look for files like .*_fix_etc_fstab (or some such naming convention)
which files would describe the necessary changes and their reasoning.

Just my $.02.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the