On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 15:54:37 -0400, in gmane.linux.gentoo.user,
"Heschi Kreinick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just a few remarks on selected issues:

>> [......]
>... So people will have to check their configs after they're
>updated, and really, how much more time does it take to merge them by hand
>than just checking whether the merge was done correctly?

My latest #emerge -u system threw **58** config files at me:-<< I
had to check every item; about 30 files belonged to X and were never
customized - but this had to be verified (easy but boring<sigh>).
For the remaining files I used an editor.

>>[........................]
> Maybe someone
>should write a config file manual for the user docs section. But there's not
>anything wrong with etc-update, just with people's understanding of how it
>should be used.

The missing doc is what's wrong with etc-update. Maybe using a
difference editor as the default choice instead of sdiff, would make
things easier for newcomers.

Best regards,
        -Heribert

--