It is rumored that CrPy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<<snip>>

> Thanks of reply :)
>
> OK. Thats true. But I think it is a bug. Because all the packages that are not
> updated by emerge -uDpv world, are in the list of emerge -e world. Thats
> strange isn't it?
>
> It would be fine if same guys of there, would try if the output of
> emerge -upv $(qpkg -I -nc) is different output than emerge -uDpv world.
> If so, take a look if these package are in the output of emerge -e world.
>
> So if there is a different between emerge -upv $(qpkg -I -nc) and emerge -uDpv
> world and the package are in emerge -e world, then it should be a bug in the
> update mechanism of portage. Or I'am wrong?
>
> /CrPy

But how often would you want to update all the packages on your system?
Look at the output of emerge --depclean -p to see how many packages are
installed.
The emerge --deep -upv  takes care of  most those files not listed in
the world file but needed by installed packages.  The emerge -e can be used to
update all the dependencies of a given package if you want to do that.  And
finally, the emerge -upv (qpkg -I -nc) takes care of all the installed packages.
It really just depends how much time you want to spend with your computer
recompiling things that aren't broken/up to date......

--
Robert Kruus --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.