On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:22:32 +0200
Renat Golubchyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Morning!
>
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 06:24, downtime null wrote:
> > is it possible to download an ebuild package, patch the source, then
> > build the package?
>
> I don't know whether there is an automated solution, but the best I can come
> up with is the following:
>
> 1. Fetch the files:
>       emerge -f <package>
> 2. Set $PORTDIR_OVERLAY in /etc/make.conf (place for local ebuilds that will
>    not be overwritten by emergy sync)
> 3. Copy the Ebuild in question and the patch to a place under $PORTDIR_OVERLAY
> 4. Change the ebuild (add the "epatch" statement, check some ebuild for an
>    example)
> 5. emerge
>
> Step 1 is optional, I think. Also, check the portage docs - I have never done
> anything with $PORTDIR_OVERLAY, so I don't know what directory will be first
> searched for an ebuild if it is in both $PORTDIR_OVERLAY and /usr/portage.
> Possibly you have to give it a unique name.

this is a bit of overkill don't you think

why not just :

ebuild file.ebuild unpack
cd /var/tmp/portage/packagedir/work/packagedir_unpacked
patch source tree
ebuild file.ebuild compile
ebuild file.ebuild merge

This would seem to be the whole point of portage/ebuild setup so that you can have
control over the whole process.

The above process of duplicating the ebuild and adding your own patches is really only
needed if you are submitting a patch to the main ebuild .. but to custom patch just
one application the above should work fine.

--
Henti Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]