Morning!

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 06:24, downtime null wrote:
> is it possible to download an ebuild package, patch the source, then
> build the package?

I don't know whether there is an automated solution, but the best I can come
up with is the following:

1. Fetch the files:
      emerge -f <package>
2. Set $PORTDIR_OVERLAY in /etc/make.conf (place for local ebuilds that will
   not be overwritten by emergy sync)
3. Copy the Ebuild in question and the patch to a place under $PORTDIR_OVERLAY
4. Change the ebuild (add the "epatch" statement, check some ebuild for an
   example)
5. emerge

Step 1 is optional, I think. Also, check the portage docs - I have never done
anything with $PORTDIR_OVERLAY, so I don't know what directory will be first
searched for an ebuild if it is in both $PORTDIR_OVERLAY and /usr/portage.
Possibly you have to give it a unique name.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Renat