Matt:

Just to give you something to run with before someone more suited answers: have you emerged gentoolkit and used the qpkg tool to figure out the deps on lirc, to maybe figure out what it is you are installing that wants it installed so bad?

Also you can try doing a -* in your use flags to clear ALL use flags, even those inherited from the parent profile useflags and see if the dep goes away (maybe a stray useflag like +irc got added somewhere?)

Best,
-Riyad

Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:

I am in the process of trying to upgrade gcc from my old Gentoo 1.1
system. I am getting half way through my 501 packages and the build for
app-misc/lirc-0.6.6-r1 borks with some crazy sandbox error.

However, I don't even use lirc and have tried to remove it, however, it
is still listed then I use --resume. How does --resume store where it
was at, and how can I tell it to skip lirc?

I have tried the --skipfirst, but it still tries to emerge lirc. I have
removed all of the installed packages that need lirc...

Thanks.